Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Birds and Mouses

Posted on 6:11 AM by Unknown
In the mornings I sit here and fill in my basketball spreadsheets and look at my database and procrastinate about taking my course in Access and while I do this I can watch the birch tree where I have my bird feeder. 

Note - thinking about adding a birch at the corner of the property since the golf course let a tree did with Jap Beetles.

Elwood calls it my ecosystem.

The last few weeks I have had five Blue Jays along with 20 or 30 sparrows attending my soup kitchen (a bird entitlement program) .  The one thing the Blue Jays do is they can make a sound that is exactly like a Red Tail Hawk.  I was reading about them and other birds benefit from Blue Jays.  Seems they will make this sound either as a warning, looking to see if any hawks yell back or to scare the sparrows.  Blue Jays are slow flyers and hawks will attack them

But - there is a pecking order with sparrows on the bottom of the list.  In fact it looks like it's a size thing as when the crows come walking in they are the kings and all watch them strut their stuff on the ground.  Have not seen the cardinals lately.

Odd thing about the Jays is that they sometimes migrate south and sometimes not.   They are monogamous, picking a mate for life and the male will feed the female as she broods (isn't that always the case?  LOL).  Both males and females will build the nest together.   

Life span can go to 17 years in the wild if they are careful. I don't believe birds ever die. I mean how often to you come across a dead bird just laying there.  Do they have grave yards? You would think with so many birds you would see dead ones more often.
--------------------------------  

NBA Chase is doing well except for that one stumble.




----------------------------------
Lots of driving today.  Picking up matted prints in Madison, picking up 5 large canvas's in Sun Prairie.

Visited the Middle School yesterday to have my photo taken for their yearbook with Collin. The 6th grade art class made a special gift for me which is really cool (refrigerator art).

OH - I have to put some orders in today.

I was contacted and asked if I could do anything with a photo so I took it and  . . .augmented it slightly so I could enlarge it and make it look more presentable.  While at Hobby Lobby today I'll have to look for a good size frame.

I had thought about making this a tall slim image like a vertical pano but that green slash of glass was just too good to pass up. I had to get that in there somehow. Not sure why it was green but I loved the reflection being green.


I hope that dude does not read the blog  LOL
----------------------------

OK - I gotta get my football picks in for this week.  I'm in 1st place in two confidence pools and tied for 1st in fantasy football but I feel I peaked and am now going down.  Too many injuries, just like the Packers.

WHY did I pick LeSean McCoy as my 1st pick. He is killing me!  And my 3rd pick Jennings - a no show  sigh!   My best player was my 4th pick, the Bear Defense. . . .actually my BEST player has been Steve Ridlay my 11th pick.
------------------------

Anyone know about mouses??  My mouse will just stop sometimes as I'm moving the cursor across the screen.   Is this a mouse problem?  Software?  It's an corded optical mouse on felt mouse pad.

-----------------------

OK - gotta make picks - cheers

Rod

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...
  • Columbus seems to be full of hand wringers
    OK - I'm going to come right out and say it. Halloween, in Columbus, on a Sunday afternoon, is just plain stupid. You are ruining it fo...
  • Lincoln - AWESOME
    All good things come to an end.  Yesterday in the NBA I lost a big game in my Chase.  O'well.  Here is my graph now. Still in the black ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ▼  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ▼  November (14)
      • Birds and Mouses
      • Faith and Butter
      • Lincoln - AWESOME
      • Walker? Really? Come on!
      • The Coming War with China
      • Roman Nose
      • Cracky it's cold!
      • Hire from within.
      • NO!!! - NOT THE FISCAL CLIFF
      • Last Night - Too funny
      • The beginning of the end for the GOP
      • I live
      • Weather
      • I'll never buy a car from Jon Lancaster again.
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2010 (87)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile