Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Roman Nose

Posted on 6:05 AM by Unknown
Been a little busy this week.  I got the thumbs up on my latest.  Now I have to figure out how big to make each image. 

The wall is 5 x 8 feet.  Here is my final-ish set of images.  Although I'm going to lighten up Amelia a little.


---------------------------------

But my real stress is that today and tomorrow I'm giving a lecture to Mrs. McDainal's 6th grade Art Class.   They are doing section on photography and for some reason believe I would be a good person to tweak their imagination.  

I visited the classroom last night and they have things that I would have thought were from the future if I had them when I was in 6th grade. . . . . I suppose it would have been from the future.    Remember when you would see Super 8 films on a white pull down white screen?

Well that screen is now a pull down laptop.  Instead of a mouse I just poke at the screen.  WHAT NEXT!  Speedometers on your windshield??

Mrs. McDanial's said they want to know all about me.  I'm wondering how much I should cover high school . . . . hmmmmmm    Maybe I'll just gloss over that part. 
-------------------------------

Bridgejumper was 6-1 last week (22-13 this year) and up I'm 10.92 units in the NBA. 

Today I have to put a bottle of West Coast Blaster in the fridge to see how it's carbing.

------------------------------

Did you know there are 63, 8-time AWIs in Wisconsin.  One guy has 15 OWIs  Wait - what is it  DUI?  DWI?  OUI?  OMVI? DUBAL (Driving with an Unlawful Blood Alcohol Level)  DWUI (only Wyoming uses that one).
-----------------------------

OH - The Republicans came up with a new excuse on why they lost.  THE VOTERS!!!  Yesterday Paul Ryan called them the "Urban" voters.   Who gave those guys the right to vote anyway!   

-----------------------------

Look at this photo - DISGUSTING





Yea - Victoria Secret is really taking heat for this fopa.   I, as a quarter blooded American Indian  . . . . . well, I liked it, BUT perhaps I'm not a true test.  They have apologized for their ignorance.

Actually head dresses are a pretty big deal in the American Indian community. 

For American Indians every feather in a head dress has to be earned.

The first feather an Indian receives must be earned for being seen as an adult member of the tribe.  The warrior has to prepare himself to receive such an honor and that often require days of fasting and meditation.

Other feathers are like merit badges of honor, they are not just some sort of decoration and are taken very very seriously.   The odd thing is that in Indian culture the female Indian is held in very very high regard but not allowed to where a headdress.  They are more in-tune with mother earth the ANY male can ever be. This is why Custer was able to escape his first battle.  He captured a bunch of female Indians and used them as human shields (the Warriors did not appreciate it).

So while female Indians are ranked highest on the totem pole the males show their pride with rewarding feathers.  After 10 feathers (rare) you were allowed to go out and get an eagle feather.

If you had 12 feathers you were allowed to have a better horse.

A Chiefs war bonnet was actually feathers from good deeds and worn in very high honor.

Warriors war bonnets (head dresses) were said to protect a warrior in battle.  One warrior chief, Roman Nose, wore his head dress and rode between the tribe and solders and despite being fire upon numerous times was never hit.

Interesting stories about Roman Nose.  

ANYWAY - I gotta run and prepare.

Have a great Thursday

Rod   


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...
  • Columbus seems to be full of hand wringers
    OK - I'm going to come right out and say it. Halloween, in Columbus, on a Sunday afternoon, is just plain stupid. You are ruining it fo...
  • Lincoln - AWESOME
    All good things come to an end.  Yesterday in the NBA I lost a big game in my Chase.  O'well.  Here is my graph now. Still in the black ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ▼  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ▼  November (14)
      • Birds and Mouses
      • Faith and Butter
      • Lincoln - AWESOME
      • Walker? Really? Come on!
      • The Coming War with China
      • Roman Nose
      • Cracky it's cold!
      • Hire from within.
      • NO!!! - NOT THE FISCAL CLIFF
      • Last Night - Too funny
      • The beginning of the end for the GOP
      • I live
      • Weather
      • I'll never buy a car from Jon Lancaster again.
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2010 (87)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile