Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth

Posted on 6:01 AM by Unknown
Seriously - this JUST happened to me!
------------------------------
Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different room and immediately forget what you are there for? You are not alone and it happens to EVERYBODY.  It's not that you are losing your short term memory.  In fact it's the opposite.  Your brain is too efficient.

There was a study done about this and there was a HUGE difference between a control group who had to exchange objects but stay in the same room and a group that had to go into a different room to exchange objects, same distance away.

It's called The Event Boundary. Passing through a door is an event boundary. Your brain separates episodes of activity and files them away, it's a trick it uses to keep things organized.

If you are in a room all activity is stored and when you walk through into a new room, your brain is SO efficient it starts a new "activity". It sticks the old thoughts into the old file and moves on! So when you "forget" and walk back into the old room you remember right?  Your brain has opened that "activity" and you remember!! 

Recalling the decision or activity that was made in a different room is difficult because it has been compartmentalized.

How awesome is that!! 
-------------
And then there is McRib - WHAT the hell is that made out of!! Want to know? REALLY?? Do you?? Hot Dogs are no longer made of bad things like the old days but McRib??  McRib is the new hot dog.

Can you say "restructured meat product"? Pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach and let's not forget azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufacturing of foamed plastics like gym mats and the soles of shoes - I guess it sort of holds it all together.

It's unnutritious mush no bones about it (pun intended).
-----------------------------------
And finally the Australian government has banned all adult pornography that features woman with small breasts! Seriously!
-------------------------------------

I was walking to a burger dive in Madison for lunch yesterday and for some odd reason the Inn on the Park was looking mighty fine.  No I did not have my beer goggles on.  So on a spur of the moment, without looking to see if any beer trucks were around I took a shot.


At least the beer truck was Pabst Blue Ribbon which is now based in Los Angeles. and formally known as Best Select and then Pabst Select.

OH - Pabst NEVER won any blue ribbons (sorry balderdash). The one it CLAIMS to have won was in 1893 at the World's Colombian Exposition in Chicago. But many beer vendors say that the Expo never gave out a Blue Ribbon.

Sales of Pabst peaked in 1977, when they reached 18 million barrels.

BTW - the Kurth Breweries high point was 36,200 barrels a year in 1914 making it Americas largest Brewery.  at the same time the Kurth also had Americas largest malting operation with a capacity of nearly three million bushels of barley.  

I REALLY need to get a shot of The Kurth!!  Perhaps tonight!

Cheers
Rod  
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Seasons over and a retrospective.
    WOW - Saturday was the last art fair of the year and yesterday was my first day after fair season.  I felt rather lost.  All of a sudden I h...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...
  • Columbus seems to be full of hand wringers
    OK - I'm going to come right out and say it. Halloween, in Columbus, on a Sunday afternoon, is just plain stupid. You are ruining it fo...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ▼  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ▼  November (12)
      • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
      • The Omar Man + Packers vs. the Fort Atkinson Black...
      • Selective memories - Columbus Auditoruim.
      • My basketball experience
      • My biased views
      • Sign zee papers!! CAN WALKER
      • Stolen from my other blog
      • I Remember Nothing
      • It was a GREAT election night!
      • Columbus Cty Council vs. The Chief
      • Hydro held up by the State.
      • Your Move!
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2010 (87)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile