Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, December 30, 2010

NO - Not Captain Kangaroo

Posted on 6:55 AM by Unknown
No no no I'm not going to say that Captain Kangaroo was texting anybody.

But I do see that it is an urban legend that Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) was a war hero. He actually never saw combat. The legend was that Lee Marvin, on the Tonight Show, said he served alongside Keeshan at the Battle of Iwo Jima. Except not only did he never actually say that but Marvin was in the hospital from wounds received in the Battle of Saipan at that time. Keeshan was a Marine but never saw action.

Keeshan was the original "Clarabell the Clown" on the Howdy Doody though which is as scary as fighting in Iwo Jima.

Mr Green Jeans (Hugh Brannum) served in WWII and was in the Marine band (which is where I would want to be in WWII) after the war he was in the group The Four Squires, later moving to Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians where he met Bob Keeshan.

Before joining Captain Kangaroo, Brannum was the host of . . . . wait for it . . . .

UNCLE LUMPY'S CABIN!!

Brannum was NOT the father of musician Frank Zappa as legend has it.
--------------------------------------

Movie Star of the Year goes to Leonardo DiCaprio with Shutter Island (128 million and Inception 293 million).

The critics top 10 movies of the year are

127 Hours
Black Swan
Blue Valentine
Inception
The Kings Speech
Please Give (I've never heard of this one)
The Social Network (also receiving the "Why did't more people see this) award
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winters Bone (receiving the "Worst Title for a Movie" award)

Brainy Movie of the year goes to Inception with Shutter Island and Black Swan close behind.

----------------------------------

They asked TCU defensive coordinator who the Wisconsin Badgers remind him of. He said The 1966 Green Bay Packers, but much bigger!

The front line of the 1966 Packers in Super Bowl 1 averaged 245 pounds! The front line of the Badgers average 327. The #1 defense in the country as never played a team THIS big!

The problem is that TCU's defense is built to stop the spread attacks. While the Badgers just bludgeon there way down the field. TCU is a bunch of super fast Ferrari's and Wisconsin is a bunch of big ass dump trucks!

Nuff Said

Have a Happy New Year and be safe!

Rod
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...
  • Columbus seems to be full of hand wringers
    OK - I'm going to come right out and say it. Halloween, in Columbus, on a Sunday afternoon, is just plain stupid. You are ruining it fo...
  • Lincoln - AWESOME
    All good things come to an end.  Yesterday in the NBA I lost a big game in my Chase.  O'well.  Here is my graph now. Still in the black ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ▼  2010 (87)
    • ▼  December (14)
      • NO - Not Captain Kangaroo
      • AHH HAA!!!!
      • Laptops SUCK!
      • It was the Night before the Night Before Christmas
      • Sports
      • American Packaging Expands
      • wee-tah-kah-wee-loo
      • All the news from Columbus
      • Packers Raise Alert Levels
      • Good-Bye Chedder Heads
      • a little of this and that
      • It Was 30 Years Ago Today That Sgt Pepper Passed A...
      • Ginko is making me
      • Gas up the blower
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile