Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, July 9, 2012

Japenese Beetles and Imidacloprid

Posted on 6:53 AM by Unknown
OK - seems that in the last week we had THE Japanese Beetle hatch and wow are they hungry. Every day I go out and kill the little fornicators in a number of ways and I find it quite enjoyable.

What I do not like is that they are going after my Autumn Blaze Maple. SO - game on.

I purchased some systemic spray for my trees and shrubs and feel I should warn you. What I'm using is called Systemic Insect Spray made by Bonide. The main killer is a chemical called Imidacloprid. This does a great great on on Jap Beetles but also is very very bad for bees. In fact Imidacloprid seems to be the leading cause of colony collapse disorder.

SO if you use it do not used it on flower.  Use it on anything that bees do not like, like trees and so forth. It's toxic to birds but really only if they are surrounded  and ingest it.  Not by touching it.  Ducks, who will eat beetles can have egg problems

Interesting stuff.  When you spray it the temp MUST be below 80 degrees. What it does is paralyze the insect and thus causes death.  I don't like using chemicals at all but for surgical strikes to save trees and non flowering shrubs I'll do it.

I'll continue to put Milky Spore on my lawn every fall as a long term solution.

Just thought I would let you know.
------------------------------

Check out this map - map generated by highlighting tweets mentioning "beer" by county vs, those that mention Church.  It shows how much cultural beliefs also drive voting behavior ultimately.




Talk to ya later. 


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Seasons over and a retrospective.
    WOW - Saturday was the last art fair of the year and yesterday was my first day after fair season.  I felt rather lost.  All of a sudden I h...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Pain in the ass Monday
    WOW - I get to work and I have a totally new computer - thing is they took our old ones and reformatted the hard drives so all of my work st...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ▼  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ▼  July (15)
      • Not a good week for pets - plus and entire Garbage...
      • Railroad Museum and cows
      • In the last nine days Columbus has received 3.59 i...
      • RIP Buddy
      • Bringing home the Bling
      • RAW Madison was a hoot!!!
      • Exploding Tables and stomachs
      • Pain in the ass Monday
      • The Godless Particle and why you need to water you...
      • I almost shot an Eagle, on purpose + insane fireworks
      • RAW photos
      • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
      • Japenese Beetles and Imidacloprid
      • Another cell phone bites the dust
      • The Clay Garden don't need no rain. BAAA!
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2010 (87)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile