Grinders Island

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Band of Brothers - USS Indianapolis

Posted on 7:34 AM by Unknown
I had the honor and privilege to attend the last reunion of the survivors of the USS Indianapolis this past weekend and every time I go to these reunions I gain more knowledge.

This being the last reunion it was special and very teary eyed.   As you all know my father in law is one of the last two Marines surviving.  One Navy Commander called these survivors "The Greatest of the Greatest Generation".

In attendance was Hunter Scott who when he was 11 started a campaign to posthumously exonerate Captain McVay.  He was called "The Hero, of the Greatest of the Greatest Generation"  YIKES.

His story is told in the book "Left For Dead", by Pete Nelson and he is now a Navy helicopter pilot who's job is to hunt submarines. 

Here is a photo of DJ, Hunter and I.


I pride myself in being a mans man and not tearing up except in the final scenes of Private Ryan and maybe a little in Field of Dreams (tossing the ball with dad) but o' man.  This weekend was tough at times.

When Edgar Harrell was saying what could be his last good-bye to Mel, DJs dad it was tough.



Edgar gave a presentation that was truly riveting - I mean really!!   I have the 54 minutes below and when you have a chance you will not think it was a wasted 54 minutes.

http://youtu.be/O9KEirureew




The very cool thing is that I talked to the producers of what will become an 8 part mini series not unlike Band of Brothers with their story.

Hear they are interviewing Mel who played hard to get all weekend.



I am so far behind on photos it's crazy.  With 3 projects and another coming up later this week AND art fairs 3 of the next 4 weekends . . . YIKES!!  But I'm getting a shot here and there processed.

This was the very first shot of the Hyatt in Indianapolis from our 10th floor.


Here is a War Memorial from Indianapolis (BTW - Indianapolis AGAIN, is just an awesome city.  If I had to live in a city I would pick Indianapolis).

The odd thing is when you are taking photos  of buildings you can always find the exact center by lining up your tripod with the lines on the floor.  Except I guess this memorial.


I'll have more shots of this awesome city in days to come (along with War Birds from Truax and other things waiting in my que).

I have a lot of great shots including some where DJ led the way down dark alleys at 11:00 at night and climbing up 10 floors of a deserted parking garage to get some great shots.  She led the way.

This was just outside our hotel at an intersection.  Taken about 10:00 at night.



ANYWAY - gotta lot of matting I have to do so I'll get back to you.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Event Boundary / Pabst and The Kurth
    Seriously - this JUST happened to me! ------------------------------ Ever have something in your mind to do and you walk into a different r...
  • Small World
    I slept too well last night and don't feel like writing. I didn't wake up 3 times with pets and when I sleep well I wake up groggy. ...
  • bad news and then good news and then excellent news - Kangaroo care
    Now I know why Walker is trying to get all Wisconsin retiree's back to Wisconsin - he is trying to save us! Randy has been on the wait...
  • The ASCAP Mafia, Silver Linings
    OK Baseball fans - this graphic was shown on TV . How many errors can you spot?  Answers near the end. -------------------------------------...
  • Weather
    THEY ARE EMPLOYEES - NOT ASSOCIATES - good grief - why do companies insist on calling people who work for the associates.  I would feel insu...
  • Next Stop - ONE MILLION plus The Fighting Finches Chpt #1
    So I passed over the 500,000 mark yesterday in pages read. The next stop is ONE MILLION and looking at the stats I'll predict that goal ...
  • Fort Atkinson begins construction on this date
    So you have all probably noticed I've been begging for $10 for this RAW Madison MIXOLOGY event that I got "mixed" up in.  I ne...
  • Trains End Supper Club
    To answer knowitall (which seems odd) - what you are talking about is called Milky Spor a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium...
  • Columbus seems to be full of hand wringers
    OK - I'm going to come right out and say it. Halloween, in Columbus, on a Sunday afternoon, is just plain stupid. You are ruining it fo...
  • Lincoln - AWESOME
    All good things come to an end.  Yesterday in the NBA I lost a big game in my Chase.  O'well.  Here is my graph now. Still in the black ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (93)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ▼  August (9)
      • Action Tire Repair
      • What is that red stuff - and rain? Where?
      • Gotta run
      • Congrats to Caleb and Alison
      • Paint By Numbers?
      • What a Weekend
      • "The Day the Clown Cried"
      • More Indy and other stuff in my head.
      • Band of Brothers - USS Indianapolis
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2012 (160)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2011 (160)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (12)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (20)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2010 (87)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (20)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile